TITLE: The Treatment version 1.3b
03/24/05© 2005 Toomey All rights reserved
MUSIC – Add cues. Each character should have a theme, each pair a variation on those themes, a main theme to accompany the intro, outro and ultra-violent scenes
CHARACTERS (in order of appearance)
Sloan; Assassin for hire and violent psychopath
Ritchie (voice of) Assassin’s ‘booking agent’ (also stolen van man – non speaking)
Mr. Moss - The Mob Boss who orders the hit on Sally
Mr. Moss’s wife
Red; Second Assassin
Sally Norman, The target – Moss’s ex…she knows too much
Angelica Devlin, femme fatale extraordinaire
LOCATIONS (in order of appearance)
Hudson River / City views
A Coffee Shop
A Gas station
A hot tub
A stolen van, a non descript clunker and a mean sports car
Sloan and Angelica are sexy, black trench coat types.
Red is stylish and Sally is a gum chewing Bronx type.
PROPS – A gun each for Sloan, Red and Angelica, plus a passel for the duffel bag
Squibs/firecrackers & fake blood
Lots of fake money for the duffel bag
One-second action shots inter-cut with white text on black B.G.
Black - Screaming digital hardcore beat fades in:
1. Smoking gun, screaming face, speeding car
2. Connections Unlimited Presents
3. Bag of money, pile of guns, C/U of cigarette being lit
4. A Daily Blotto Film
5. Hot tub with bodies floating, cuts fro E/C/U to WIDE, horizon tilting as we go, a
half naked woman sitting up in bed (on top), champagne being poured.
6. The Treatment (black and white flashing)
7. Blood spatter on wall, slo-mo champagne glass flying, money being counted
8. Written, Shot and Edited at WWW.ANDYT13.COM
Cut to section 1:
C/U of smoking gun
Angelica V.O.: “I just emptied the clip of this Glock 9mm into the back of a man who wasn’t expecting it.
Zoom out up the arm to show Angelica’s face as a sly grin spreads across it.
Angelica V.O. “And let me tell you, it feels good.”
She drops her arm.
(beat) “Wait, (beat) I should back up.”
Whip pan to section 2:
Angelica V.O. “This is Sloan.”
1. Medium shot of Sloan thru coffee shop window
2. INT. DAY
Sloan in coffee shop at table;
Angelica V.O “He’s a hit man.”
His cell phone rings. He answers “Sloan.”
Ritchie V.O. “Sloan, it’s Ritchie. Mr. Moss called. He’s got a job for you.
Go see him at this address. 1218 River Rd, Elmwood NY”
Sloan writes it down.
Sloan: “OK, got it. Thanks Ritchie.”
Ritchie: “Hey, your business is my livelihood. Knock ‘em dead.”
Sloan: “Right. Later” Camera follows (pan) as Sloan gets up, and walks out.
3. EXT gas station
Van pulls up to pump, man gets out leaving van running. Sloan walks up, looks both ways, climbs in and drives off. Van Man walks out holding his coffee and snack looking stunned and extremely puzzled at the absence of his van. He looks left and right and slowly does a 360 turn looking utterly bewildered.
4. Int/Ext Driving scene
Sloan V.O. - several cuts of him in the van driving up the Henry Hudson.
“I am a problem solver; a doctor of sorts.
People often have issues. I make them go away.”
5. Sloan firing repeatedly at someone out of the frame on the ground. He pauses and looks, then fires again for good measure.
Sloan V.O. “Permanently.”
6. Over the shoulder shot of Sloan counting money
Sloan V.O. “And at a handsome profit.”
Dissolve to: (show the passing of time)
7. Low angle shot. Car tires pull into frame. Sloan gets out and we see his boots walk slowly by.
EXT – Day
8. Moss in hot tub drinking champagne with Jill.
Moss: “I love you baby”
9. Reverse angle; Sloan in black trench coat, hat and shades. “You wanted to see me?”
10: Moss, completely at ease. “Sloan! Nice to see you again!”
11. Cut wider: over Sloan’s shoulder. Sloan: “What’s the job?”
12. C/U of Moss eyes narrowing, then laughing. “Always business with you.”
V.O. Sloan: “Time IS money.”
13. Cut wider: different angle- Moss “Fine. On the table is a picture and all the details.
She knows way too much about my business and has become a liability. I need you to take care of the problem for me. While you’re at it, have some fun. Give her The Treatment.
14-18 shots of what ‘The Treatment’ entails. Blood/screaming/torture/ultraviolence
14. A pair of dark shadows on a white wall, him absolutely beating the shit out of a woman while she screams hideously. Blood spatters on the wall.
15. C/U face, eyes wide, face battered and blood spattered, ball gag
16. C/U Hands tied behind her back with rope
17. C/U a nipple, clippers enter into frame
18. E/C/U eyes wider, screaming though ball gag
19. C/U of Sloan’s face as he reviews the folder
Sloan: (beat- smiles at the camera) “With Pleasure.”
20. Reverse angle Sloan’s POV flipping the page and photos.
“The price is the same; Half now, half upon completion.”
Moss V.O.: “See that briefcase on the floor there?”
Cut to: medium shot of briefcase
21. C/U of brief case as Sloan picks it up and pulls it out of the frame.
22. Reverse angle behind Moss’s shoulder, Sloan turns and start to walk off.
Moss: “Aren’t you going to count it?” Sloan turns back.
Sloan “It was all there last time (beat) and the time before that.
I’ll call you when I’m done.”
He turns to walk away, turns back and says
“Oh by the way, nice new place you got here.”
He turns and walks away.
23. Shot of Moss and Jill. Moss shouts after him “Yeah well the previous tenants departed rather suddenly.
23a. Shot of dead bodies in ditch behind house.
Moss and Jill dissolve into laughter clinking glasses. They kiss.
24. View of a bed from the side. Two figures writhe beneath the covers.
Angelica throws the covers off her head panting.
You only see her from the waist up. She giggles dives back down out of the frame.
A beat of black
Dissolve into section 3:
1. INT Bar – day
Aspiring actress / waitress and ex mob moll Sally, working at a bar.
It’s empty except for Red. Sally is babbling at Red.
Duo shot of Sally and Red
2. Freeze on Sally.
Angelica V.O “This (beat) is Sally”
3. Duo shot of Sally and Red – Sally’s rant resumes
Sally: “…So then I says “Well what are you seeing him for? And she goes “Well he’s got all this money and a flashy new car.” and I’m like “My GAWD! Money and cars aren’t everything!” so then she goes…”
4. C/U of Red listening to Sally babble. Freeze on Red.
Angelica V.O. “This (beat) is Red.”
Cut to: duo shot of Sally and Red face to face over the bar.
Sally “Oh yeah, YOU don’t care about money! That bitch!”
5. Reverse angle – Sloan enters through the door in the B.G
The couple in the fore-ground are in focus. They look toward the door.
The focus shifts to Sloan in the background and he walks toward the couple until the threesome are in focus.
4. Med shot from behind counter of Sloan “Sally Norman?”
5. C/U of Sally “Yes?”
6. Different angle shot of Sloan “I have a message for you”
Different angle shot of Sloan “from Moss.”
Zoom out to:
Sloan pulls out his gun. Sally screams.
Red hits him in the face with a pot of coffee from out of the frame.
The gun goes off but misses.
7. Reverse angle, Sloan wiping and clutching his face cursing as Red grabs Sally and yells “Come on!” as he drags her out of the bar.
8. EXT day – outside restaurant
Diner front (back?) door as Red and Sally burst through and run past the camera.
9. Dolly shot following the couple running along the sidewalk.
Sally: “Who the hell WAS that guy?”
She and the camera stop as Red runs out of the frame.
Sally: “Wait who the hell are YOU?”
He runs back into the frame grabs her and drags her out of the frame yelling “Come ON!”
10. Central park under the bridge – they run up and pause, panting.
Cut to duo shot:
11. Sally: “Listen buddy, I’m not taking another step until I know what’s going on.”
12. Red: “I’m pretty sure that guy was gonna shoot you for somebody named Moss. Any idea why? Who the fuck is Moss?”
Cut to over-Red’s-shoulder shot of:
13. Sally: “Why should I tell you anything?
Cut to med shot of:
Red: (beat) “Ah…how about because I just saved your ass?”
Cut to med shot of:
14. C/U of Red: “Besides, I was hired to protect you.”
15. C/U of Sally “(incredulous) “What?!”
Whip pan to:
16. Red (exasperated): “Look, someone’s paying me to keep you alive!”
Sally (V.O): “Who?!
17: Red: (beat) “I don’t know.
Cut to medium shot of:
17a. Sally: “What the fuck are you talking about?”
Cut to medium shot of:
18. Red: “(sigh) I have an agent who gets me work. I don’t ask where the cash is coming from; I just do the job. I find my lack of interest in names gets me a lot more work. Anyway, that guy obviously didn’t think twice about knocking you off in a public place. Want to tell me why? Who’s Moss?”
Whip pan to duo shot:
17. Sally: “Shit. Well…Moss is my ex. He’s a gangster.”
18. Red: (with sarcasm) “Oh, I see, your ex-boyfriend is a gangster and you’re SURPRISED someone’s trying to SHOOT you?”
19. Sally: “Well, I knew he was dangerous. That’s part of the attraction!
(beat) I just never thought he’d try to kill me.”
20. Red: “Well think again. In the mean time, you need someplace to hide out for a while. I’m right around the corner. You stand a lot better chance there than you will out here. He certainly knows everything about you and it won’t take him long to finish the job. I’m an unknown factor so it should take him a little longer to find.”
21. Sally: “How do you know all this?”
22. Red: “Experience. Besides, I’m going to have to take this guy out if I want to get the other half of my retainer so we’d better get moving.. ”
He turns and walks out of the frame.
23. She turns “Wait, I don’t even know your name.
24. Red’s back as he stops. He looks back over his shoulder. “Call me Red.”
26. Ext/street - Sloan walking through the city from various angles, looking pissed.
V.O. “Shit! Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit. I hate it when things go wrong. I thought that little bastard would dive for cover and beg for mercy. I must be slipping! One thing’s for sure: They’re BOTH gonna get ‘The Treatment’ now.”
27-30 More shots of what ‘The Treatment’ entails. Blood/screaming/torture/ultraviolence
27. C/U A blow torch heating up a pair of pliers
28. A knife cutting slowly through bloody meat
29. C/U one eye wide open in shock and fear
30. Black with horrible screaming
Dissolve to section 4:
27. Int/day – Angelica’s apartment, she’s pacing back and forth with the phone to her ear.
Angelica: “Look, just tell him he needs to finish the job. If he takes care of this guy there’s only going to be another one right behind him. He needs to solve the problem at the source…I don’t know, that’s his problem…yes…yes he’ll get the money.
Uh-hunh…great…Thanks.” She hangs up.
28. Sloan walks in the door with the folder from Moss.
29. Angelica’s reaction shot
Angelica: “What the fuck happened to you?”
Sloan: V.O “I had a little run in with a coffee pot.”
30. Duo shot of her trying to clean him off. He pushes her away.
Sloan: “OK, OK, OK!”
31. Low angle shot of them both he throws the folder on the coffee table.
32: Shot of folder contents spilling out, picture of Sally on top.
33: Low angle shot again.
Sloan walks out of frame saying: “I’m going to get changed.”
Angelica sits down on the couch and picks up the picture.
You see the recognition in her eyes. She takes a deep breath.
She gets up and walks out of the room.
34. View of a bed from the other side. Two figures writhe beneath the covers.
Angelica throws the covers off like before and screams. She smiles.
35. Angelica sits on the couch looking at the folder.
Angelica: “So how’s the new job going?”
Sloan (walking into frame with fresh clothes) ‘How many times do I have to tell you, Angelica, don’t ask questions you don’t want the answers to. He grabs the folder.
Sloan: “I have to go. Now be a good girl and stay out of trouble, will you?” He leans in to kiss her but she turns her head.
Sloan: “Oh-KAY...” He walks toward the door.
Angelica: (calling after him) “I will if you will.” Door slams.
She waits a moment, then gets her coat on and walks out the door, slamming it.
Cut to black (2 seconds)
Fade in to section 5:
1. Profile of Sloan on his cell phone. He’s walking; the camera follows.
Sloan: “Listen, Ritchie, you do NOT want to SCREW with me! You KNOW what I’ll do. I saw it in his face. He knew what was going down. Who is he and where does he live? Uh-hunh. Uh-hunh. Good man. The life you just saved is your own.” He hangs up.
He lights a cigarette, smiles to himself and walks out of the frame.
2. Int – Red’s apartment
They enter. Sally sits down on the couch.
Red: “You should be safe here.”
Sally: “Safe? At this point I don’t know if I feel safe anywhere.”
Red’s phone rings. He answers.
Red: “Yea? Uh-hunh. Uh-hunh. Are you sure about this? OK, fine. Thanks.”
He hangs up.
3. C/U of Sally “Who was that?”
4 Red: (examining his gun) “Nevermind. I’m going out to talk to a few people and try and figure out what to do next. You stay here. Lock the door and don’t open it for anything. Don’t answer the phone and for God’s sake don’t tell anyone where you are. I’ll be back soon.”
4. Sally: “I’m not just going to sit here and wait for you!”
5. Red. “Just do what I say. You’ll live longer. If it wasn’t for me you’d already be dead.” He turns and walks to the door.
6. C/U of Sally’s face (yelling) “Yeah, well don’t do me any favors!” (pouts)
We hear the door slam. (2 second beat)
7. Wider angle, moments later. Sally is pacing the room. Out loud to no one in particular she says: “Fuck this!” She puts on her coat and walks out the door slamming it. The camera lingers 2 seconds on the door.
Cut to: 2 seconds of black.
Cut to section 6: Now a series of progressively shorter cuts of the camera following each actor/actress walking. Sloan and Angelica facing stage right, Red and Sally facing stage left. Remember the girls are following the guys.
1. Sloan (2, 3, 4)
2. Red (2, 3, 4)
3. Angelica (2, 3, 4)
4. Sally (2, 3, 4)
5. Sloan (2, 3)
6. Red (2, 3)
7. Angelica (2, 3)
8. Sally 2,3)
9. Sloan (Beat)
10. Red (Beat)
11, Angelica (Beat)
12. Sally (Beat)
13. Without beats in between progressively quicker.
Sloan, Red, Angelica, Sally, Sloan, Red, Angelica, Sally,
Sloan, Red, Angelica, Sally, Sloan, Red, Angelica, Sally…
Cut to section 7: (climax):
1. Long shot of Red from behind Sloan (Sloan’s back to the camera)
Look of surprise on Red’s face.
2. Reverse angle of Sloan from behind Red.
Look of surprise on Sloan’s face.
3. Red’s hand grabbing his gun.
4. Sloan’s hand grabbing his gun.
5. Gun battle ensues. –slo-mo cuts back and forth between the two actors, smoke,
C/Us of guns firing
6. Red takes a flesh wound to the shoulder.
7. Sloan is shot in the stomach and falls.
8. Red runs up to Sloan.
9. Red puts his gun to Sloan’s head and throws Sloan’s dropped gun out of reach.
10. C/U of Red: “Not as good as you thought you were, were ya?”
11. Sloan’s face – shock…eyes wide unfocused
12. Red: “Let’s see what you’ve got here.”
14. Med shot: Red searches Sloan and finds envelope of cash from Sloan’s coat
C/U of money in envelope
Red V.O.: “Ah! Here we are!”
15. Sloan’s face; he focuses on Red.
16. Red’s face. He looks both ways.
BANG! Angle looking up at Red – blood spatters on him
Red gets up and walks out of the frame
2 seconds of black.
Cut to section 8:
1. Med shot – Sloan lies in a pool of blood. Angelica rushes into the frame and kneels by Sloan’s body. She grabs the gun from Sloan’s hand, looks both ways and runs out of the frame as the sirens approach.
2. Red runs into Sally on the street
2a. CAW: we see Angelica kneeling by Sloan
2b. The camera follows them as they start to walk.
Red: ”What the hell are you doing here?! I thought I told you to stay in the apartment?!”
Sally: “Screw you. I don’t always do what I’m told. In fact I almost never do.”
Red: “Well I just saw your pal.”
Sally: (noticing Red’s shoulder) “My god you’re hurt!”
They and the camera stop on the two of them.
Red: “That’s nothing. Anyway, your problem I solved. Go home.”
C/U of Sally: “You have to go to a hospital!”
Med shot of Red: “No thanks. I just shot a man in the head. I’d prefer to remain anonymous. I’m going to see your ex myself and stop this once and for all. Where does he live?”
Sally: (quietly & haltingly) “1218 River Rd, Elmwood NY’
“Great. My job is done here. Have a nice life.” He walks away.
Sally is staring after him. Her phone rings. She picks it up. “Hello?”
Cut to section 9:
1. Ext shot of Red’s car roaring by (right to left).
2. Red’s face; inscrutable
6. Angelica’s car roars by. (Going from right to left – same shot as Red’s car)
7. C/U Angelica’s face, more determined than ever.
8. Two views of Moss’ mansion.
9. Repeat shot of car’s front tire pulls into frame. Door slams. This time it’s Red’s car and Red’s boots walking slowly through the frame
10. Moss and his wife in the hot tub again.
Red V.O.: “Mr. Moss I presume?”
11. Moss whips around. “Who the fuck are you?
12. C/U of Red: “I’ve got a message for you. Your friend isn’t gonna make it.
13. Cut wider. “And neither are you.” He raises his gun and empties the clip.
14. Hot tub only, no one sitting up. Champagne glasses; one of them is shattered.
15. C/U Moss’ face, splattered with blood, eyes open and unseeing.
16. C/U the back of Jill’s head floating face down.
17. Med shot of Red in F.G, out of focus Angelica in the B.G. The focus changes to Angelica in the B.G with Sloan’s gun. She empties the clip as the fuzzy image of Red falls out of the frame in the F.G.
Dissolve to section 10:
We’re back to the opening shot.
1. Zoom up to a C/U of the smoking gun
Angelica: “I just emptied the clip of this Glock 9mm into the back of a man who wasn’t expecting it.
Zoom out up the arm to show Angelica’s face as a sly grin spreads across it.
2. Angelica Voice Over
“And let me tell you, it feels good.”
3. Angelica from the knees down walking, she stops next to a HUGE duffel bag.
4. Over-the-shoulder shot of Angelica slamming down the bag on a table.
She unzips the bag. Yes, it’s FULL of cash, weapons and dope. She zips it up.
Whip pan to:
5. Rear view of Stella. Angelica throws the bag in the trunk
Angelica gets in the drivers side. She peels out in a cloud of dust.
Driving scenes – Angelica calls Ritchie one the cell phone
R: “Yea?” – A: “You’re rich. Nice doing business with you.”
R: (laughing) A: (hangs up)
Front view of Angelica pulling up into the frame and stopping
5. Angelica winds down the window and sticks her head out.
Sally bends down into the frame.
Sally: “Did you get him?”
8. View of a bed from the right side. Two figures writhe beneath the covers.
9. Angelica in car: “I got him” (smiling)
8a. Angelica throws the covers off her head and shakes out her hair.
10. Sally: ”You got everything?” (nodding towards the bag)
12. Angelica: “Half a million dollars, heavy hardware and some serious party favors.”
8b. Pan down Angelica to see she’s on top of Sally.
13. Angelica and Sally kiss passionately through the window.
6. Rear view of Stella. Sally gets in the passenger’s side.
Both; (as they peel out) “WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!”
Angelica V.O. “It’s funny how things work out. We both got the money…”
Sally V.O. “And we both got the girl!”
End credits roll over stills from the movie interspersed with live action shots
The Treatment starring:
Written by Andy Toomey with Darcy Murray
Filmed and edited by Andy Toomey